An essay on our Legacy.

Our Legacy
FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

An essay on our Legacy.

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Mon Jul 07, 2003 20:55

You'll notice that the subtitle of this forum is 'Our Legacy'. That made me think...what is our legacy precisely...a difficult question to provide an answer for.

Is our legacy the games we play, the people we meet and influence or the clan itself?

Many members have had input into this clan and thus are directly involved in its legacy. For example, the previous Clan CO's have all obviously had a massive influence on where the clan has gone and what it has done when it got there.

From our first leader and indeed creators Aviendha/Ladyhawke (a name thats often spoken in hushed tones despite this fact), her brother (FUR-4th) to Hobbes, Kaifas, Neo, Tyrone and now myself the CO's have guided and ruled the FF clan as they saw fit. The fact that these people have risen to such heights shows their dedication to the team and the future of the people who make it.

However, many of these great names have left us and been assigned to the history books. Few of us remember who Aviendha/Ladyhawke or Kaifas were...the majority that do remember them with pride.

There are other names too, the 'great' FF'rs such as Farrman, Nemesis, Raven, Master, Temptation and the greatest of them all Darkhalf. The people who supply us with things such as web pages; Herman and James, or the very BB I type this on; Goose. These last 3 people came to us during the Mechwarrior 4 expansion and have made our lives and friendships easier through their efforts...something that is often forgotten.

Perhaps thats what our legacy is...our clan and the friendships we have created within this clan.

Or is it indeed the games we play and the mark we make for ourselves within them? We will certainly have a lasting legacy in these games...people will remember our names and demenour.

Recently I've been looking at things related to clan leadership on the net. Some of its pretty interesting, some of it not so much. Some interesting facts hit me though. According to a certain website most clans fold within 3 months and those that dont fold within 9. Only 5% of clans last longer than a year.

That makes us pretty special ladies and gents. Our 4th anniversary will be approaching soon which makes me think that our legacy isnt one single thing. Its a number of things...our tenacity, our friendships, our pride and our willingness to adapt and move on to bigger and better things.

WE are the FF legacy and the legacy to all who follow.
Last edited by FF-Cernunnos on Tue Jul 08, 2003 0:25, edited 3 times in total.
-=The FF Boss=-

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Mon Jul 07, 2003 22:18

:mecry:

that was beautiful.

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Mon Jul 07, 2003 23:58

Thank you Hobbes I was looking for inspiration when I wrote it...I think I found it in some small part. :)

Although writting this makes me wonder who will continue our legacy, who will become the next generation of 'great' FF'rs? Theres many who deserve the title now...people such as Hammer, Rachy, Nopileos, Dopez...even that nightmare we call Sir. Fett. :D

It'll be interesting to see who steps up and takes the banner in future months and years.
Last edited by FF-Cernunnos on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:49, edited 2 times in total.
-=The FF Boss=-

FF-Nopileos
Bamboo Eater
Bamboo Eater

Post by FF-Nopileos » Tue Jul 08, 2003 0:26

You caught the right words (even though some aren't even in my dictionary.. :wink: )
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-Mark Twain
"Envy is the most modest shape of recognition"

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:06

i dunno if i ever told you this or not, but in the earliest days, and even now (at least from what I can see) the glue that has always bound us together was friendship more than anything else. It made me so happy to see you recognize that in such a big way.

and from my personal experience, when I was CO my biggest concern was exactly what you said 95% of other clans fall victim to. I consider my biggest accomplishment at CO was giving FF the kick in the ass to not only survive but thrive. And since then plenty of peeps have come in exactly like you said and taken up our banner and done some truly great things with it.

As an example, I'll give an anectdote. As some people know, FF started tiny, there was only 4 of us total. It was the first and only clan I've ever been in, and I joined it in the first game I ever played online. I took a look once at another clans website, the Shattered Star Confederation. They had their own domain, a huge website with lots of members, and a list of games they played outside of FS2. I was in awe, I never knew clans could get so big.

Now everytime I look on the website, I see that we've at least equalled that, if not surpassed it. And that amazes me even more, because it's all built on friendship, and goodtimes.

/(00)

FF-Raven
Captain
Captain

Post by FF-Raven » Tue Jul 08, 2003 15:59

There are some very important words being spoken there: essentially the key to why Freedom Fighters has survived.

Before Freespace 2 (my second online game) I tried out Janes: United States Air Force (my first online game). I had this habit of taking on F-22s with an A-10 and got lucky in shooting them down a lot (little did they suspect that I had nightvision on all the time, and just "guided" in the streamline of bullets :twisted:). I was asked to join this clan - the 23rd Wildcats or something like that - and thought that that was pretty neat. However, a few months later (on par with Cern's findings) everyone jumped ship like rats on a sinking boat.

I was suspicious at joining FF at first: would I find the same fate as in USAF? I quickly realized this would not be the case, for FF was blessed with something very unique and very important: an abundant amount of dedicated people who WANT something to work. The thing that I quickly discovered made FF the mutant in the bunch, is that the people actually give a shit (excuse my French) around here as to what happens squad wise or personnel wise.

That just doesn't happen anywhere else. It's why FF has survived. It's why it will continue to grow.

It's why I like it :D .
Ryan "Raven" Egger
Freedom Fighters

FF-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by FF-Master » Tue Jul 08, 2003 18:03

Well FF has been my only squad/clan to. And FS2 was my first online game to.And I joined FF purely by chance, guess I got lucky :wink: . And it's true that friendship and determined members have kept us alive and thriving. But I think that another thing that has brought us to the point where we are now are commanders with vision. I think that all the CO's i've known, from Hobbes to Cern, they've all had an Idea, a vision of what FF could become and could be. I think if it wern't for leaders like that we would never get to the point where we are now and would have disappeared a long time ago.

FF-Darkhalf
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by FF-Darkhalf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 18:56

For real very wise words spoken. Indeed I can see the exact same reason why FF succeeded so long till now. Friendship, friendship & friendship once again.

Since my first day I met FF`s I felt that strong bond between em, that magic cohesion based on friendship which been so attractive, so many tried, only less succeeded; FF did :1up:

Quite a long time ago now, Hobbes asked for personal stories how we found our way into FF & what followed. I wrote it those days tho never posted, must be 2 years now. I still have it, just grabbed it and think it`s bout time :)

-------------
It all started when I paid visit to an old school mate march 2000 and asked him about those CD`s, Freespace 2 written on em & he just said 'it`s not bad'.
As I liked the old Wing Commander & X-wing I started to play it and was impressed. It came out that it was a kick-ass game.
I still sucked, didn`t know it but tried to play it at pxo and therefor went at sw.com to pick my log in. I thought it would automatically be my further pilot name so while searching for a good name, my eyes catched that Stephen King book and my name which should be well known in the future has been chosen.

I went at pxo, met some guy who played some games with me and I just liked it :)
At first I mainly played coops/ gauntlets a lot & whenever I got into any T vs T I totally sucked.
At those early days I allready met Darkmoon, squadless as well & had lots of fun playing duels, allways very equal. At those times I had loads of time, played LOTS of games during nights.

Having not the slightest idea what`s been going on with leagues & Squads, I met FF-Chrono and he asked me if I`d like to join FF. ( What a lucky night !! )
A few days later I received that mail which confirmed beeing in FF now, in Blue Wing.
That was the time when I saw more FF`s regulary, mainly euros. Espescially Kaifas, Farrman & Neo. I rarely met any blue wing member cause of the times they were on, tho I played at nights a lot.
I was asking if I could join Euro, got Neo`s ok and soon went into BIT where Kaifas showed no mercy in his thoth.

After I got kicked badly at BIT 1 Old School I started to love that mission and played it a lot, dueling every pilot could get and realized that Old School was a perfect mission to learn how to use Rockeyes.
Kaifas was the one that wanted me to play SquadWars, but I didn`t think I was good enough and so I played my first match when I was the only FF around. After coming home from getting pissed I wanted to play a bit and popped into pxo, meeting Firefish saying 'You have to fly a match with me' and so I played my first match & we came out out a winner, me mainly evading while Fire got the kills.

I kept on flying a lot. Then the league reset came & I started to play matches regulary. That must be the time when Kaifas had to leave pxo due to his bad conn and Firefish started to introduce us into Hobbes' FireTeam strats.

After reading em all twice, Farr went on icq, grabbed him, let him read as well we went on pxo to fly some 2 on 2's where we quickly found out that FT's were working !! Every time we were on together we trained them, arranged new commands which were missing for some situations.
The leagues began to give us win after win till we faced DSA. These days Stuge joined Euro and we all realized what a great pilot he was.

We then all were shocked by the news that Ladyhawk had a car accident and that she lost her life. Fortunately it wasn`t true which we only realized later.

While we were having very tough fights vs DSA, Hobbes resigned as CO and Neo took the spot making a clear statement 'the mood is about to change' ;) Stuge started to participate in matches and helped us to win our first DSA attack, no other Squad managed to before, when I`m right. NA wing was formed with Master/ Raven & Tyrone let FF enter the world league with our Liberation army.

Another league reset came and after a bad start for Euro we moved on by getting node by node, covered by Stuge`s awesome defend skills.
NA wing had a better start and was at #1 for a long time before RN & TCX teamed up, painting a bullseye on our nodes with having 5 wings.
We then made our first and only alliance with BDHR to hold em off.

-------------

I hardly can imagine how my F2 life would have been when Chrono didn`t recruit me and I easily can say that I don`t wanna know :mrgreen:

F2 has been the first serious multi game I played, FF the first clan I joined so here I still am, Stick to the roots ;) and there are only two words for the feeling towards FF.

Pride & friendship.

FF-Tyrone
Admiral
Admiral

Post by FF-Tyrone » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:50

Well, what can i say to these words that can mean something.
I wanna cause i feel i need to. As my past as Squad Co for over 2 years i have seen a lot. Seen people come and go, seen problems come and go.

We have had our share off shit, but managed to solve it everytime in a way we could all live with. We discussed it, thought about it, then made a decision wich would be respected. And here is what i think is a very important fact as another reason why this clan has been around for so goddamn long !! The RESPECT !!

As many others this clan is my first and as i feel it as my only one. I could not see me joining any other clan with the same devotion as i feel for the FF.
The friendship i have felt from the first days i joined and the games i played with Farrman, Skeeter, Kaifas, Neo and all the other ones were so damn great. I remember in the early days off the euro wing, a game Neo and i played against a clan wich we looked up to very much. Can't remember the name. We played a 2vs2 and when the game was finnished we came out a winner, and it felt so damn great. It was a tough match, but it gave me the confidence to go on. We got the first medal for best TEAM. Was very proud off it too, still am. Then later in a very very close 1 vs 1 i beat Neo, remember that one Neo, was the toughest win i had in my entire career. Anyways, looking back at these days, i can say that we had the best times toghether, playing chatting, laughing without carring for who we were. We were, and are FF, and that is enough.
The friendship we have, and the respect that comes with it keeps us toghether.

I also think that one off the reasons why the FF has become so huge, is that the Co's have never done anything entirely by themselves, Before the council was formed, there was always talk about how things would be done, and how things could not be done. In this way we prevented ugly discussions and stuff. All the Co's have done this, and this is also a part off our legacy. With the formation off the council we gave the Co's an easy way to guidens where needed, and an easy way to get help. Thought it is not always done threw the council, the co's get there advise, and that is something where we stand strong.

We have so many people who are among us for so long. The experience that we have in all the different parts off having a clan is so important. We learn from eachother, from our mistakes and from ourselves. Put the knowledge off all people together and use it, then this clan will go on forever.

As for the next generation FF'ers ( have to give it a name ) they will be the ones who will guide the FF into the new era. As all other things, we grow older, and there will always be a flow in the roster, as well as there will be changes in the command structure. It doesn't matter as long as we keep our legacy. The remeberance off all those that were there before u is enough to realise in what sort off clan u are in. I know the the next generation will be as great as the first or second or any other. They will keep our legacy.

The legacy we have is something so old, almost as old as the clan itself.
It were the baselines on wich this clan is formed.Remember people, when u joined FF u read a set off rules, thats our legacy. In my opinion the most important are:
- RESPECT your fellow FF'ers, and all other players.
- have FUN doing so.

I know from my part, that as long as i will play online games, i will remember the FF. I still am a member, tho not active, but intend to become one whenever i get the change. I am addicted to the fun, simple as that. 4 years toghether, damn.....................! :?
-= Ty Rone =-
-= OCFF Thug! =-

FF-Judgement
Captain
Captain

Post by FF-Judgement » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:59

My story as with many others starts in fs2.

I remember when I first met ol' Darky, and he was prolly one of the nicest guys on PXO I'd met, plus all the other FF seemed to be nice, and good pilots too. So, when he asked me to join, I hopped on IE and checked out the website, ( which I thought was the cooolest thing for a clan to have a web page btw ;) ) after that, I never looked back. For two years, come October, I've been apart of this clan, and I have loved every day of it. No matter what happens in a match, in any game, no matter how bad we mighta gotten our asses kicked, or how much ass WE kicked :P we eventually just hang out and have fun.

Having fun... that is one thing that's helped more than we probably realize, because no matter how bad a match goes, it's a game , and that's not what the clan is ALL about, it's about the people, and being like it sasy, an online gaming community. We are a community, and I think the clan's history book has only begun... I honestly think, that in another five years when I get outta college, this BB will still be around, and we'll be playin all kinds of new games, plus the classics like fs2 ;) This clan has stuck together, and besides an occassional bit of flaming, I don't even think that in these past 2 years, I've seen people be TRULY mad at each other and stay that way, aside from the old eternal flames which I found out about early on, ( almost scarred me for life :P) Our clan has stuck out the long haul, defied the odds, and it's only the beginning...

Theres my 2 ¢

Sir Fett
Don't open this cage! NOOOOOOOOOO...
Don't open this cage! NOOOOOOOOOO...

Post by Sir Fett » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:15

finaly some recognition :mrgreen:
<= nightmare :twisted:

General
The Spaminator
The Spaminator

Post by General » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:02

Well.....im a newbie to the clan and I feel that this clan actually cares bout eachother like cern or someone said....i feel that it is more than a clan...but a good group of friends that talk and chat regularly...unlike other clans which are just game orientated where FF is community orientated. I hope im wiht this clan for a long time to come and will get to know everyone better and better as the time goes on....i might even try new games like FS2...which i should try :P

FF-Nopileos
Bamboo Eater
Bamboo Eater

Post by FF-Nopileos » Mon Jul 14, 2003 13:00

After I read Darkys text I wrote one of my own, but I thought that it was way too long for being posted, but Cern asked me to do so and here it is :wink: :

A „short” summary on how I came to FF:

Its about 3 or even 4 years ago now when I bought me Freespace 2. Since I knew fs1 as well and liked it, I bought fs2 when I saw it the very first time. So I started to play and it was amazing with its graphics and stuff so many years ago.. and it still is not bad. I finished campaign about 5 times until I was a captain in single player.. when I didnÂ’t get any promotion playing it for the 6th time I stopped playing itÂ…

In April 2002 I finally was able to convince my parents that having internet at home isn’t such a bad idea. After 2 weeks I found the fs2 CDs again and thought “well why not..” and since I was needing a name I took one of the characters of my fav book in those days..

So I started playing it a bit, mainly coops, but I began to like tvts as well, even though I was mostly just “one more free kill” for the other team. I met some guys from a squad called Terran Alliance (TA) then and TA-Morpheus taught me some basic evading skills for the Erinyes. Then I saw the medals and I really wanted to get the one for Touch of Fate. Lightspeed did need it as well so we tried it about 20 times until we got it (well we succeeded before, but PXO validation bitch didn’t wanna give it to us). Then I joined TA which was a small almost only German squad owning only few nodes. Since the maps were very blocked in that time there weren’t many sws, but we had 2 times training per week and so my experience grew a bit. I met Kasimir then one day and decided to recruit him for TA. I was promoted and became trainings officer in TA, so that we spend quiet some time together, me shooting him down :wink:. And so we went along for some months in which I was even allowed to fly some sws, but they were almost only vs 4-th (about always lost there :? ) vs JBX (always wins hehe :twisted: ) or vs LoA. But after some months, must have been August of 2002, and many problems in the squad and who would be its leader, too many members lost their interest in the game and we were only Kasi Light and me left in the big wide space… I was very unsure which squad to join and about joining a squad at all, because you get quiet a lot offers when you win some sws… There were SSC, DW, and FF making offers I had to think about. In the end, a good month later I finally decided to join FF, cause I had a lot of fun during this months in Unis games.. and since Darky and Uni asked me to join, well I told them one day that I would like to do so :wink:.
I spoke with Kasi and Light then and Kasi said that he would like to join FF as well with me, while Light wanted to join SSC (and is now one of our most feared “enemies” :wink: ).

The next weeks were fun and I passed the BiT (with darky and Uni giving me a pretty hard time in the 1v2), but in the beginning I felt kinda uncomfortable about posting on the board, because FF had about 100 members and TA had.. well 10.. I felt even more unsure, when Darky offered me the spot as XO for the Fs2 section, but since I coulnÂ’t convince him to take someone else I took it. Then Cern became our new CO and being invited to the first CO and XO meeting after only 1 and a half month in FF, wellÂ… it was strange because all others knew each other that well and I was new. I was so thankful that Darky did the report and that I just had to listen and to help the others with their problems. The time until Christmas then was even better since I played a lot with Darky (who was always kind and considerate), Uni (who was always a challenge to kill and real fun to play with), Nath (who leaned me her ears when I was in need of it) [I think we once chattedÂ… only chatted for about 5 hours in fs2 (Val, Nath and me)...] and Stuge, Conjo and Cern and andÂ…(tbh I havenÂ’t met any FFs who I donÂ’t like at all) during this time of fun I felt what is so special about FF.. the already often named friendship. In January then Darky asked if I was playing other games of FF and so I got me WC3.. and we still play it together (even though I did not like it at the beginning, and I must have really sucked in it as well thinking about that now :wink:)

You canÂ’t say it often enough I think, if you like the ones you play with, you stay loyal to the clan.. and why shouldnÂ’t you. I have never met a clan with so many so kind members yet and that is indeed the fact that makes FF survive and that gives the feeling of home to its members.
Another thing that makes FF special in my eyes is the thing using the first name. I donÂ’t know any other clan/squad in which the members call them with their real names even though the probably never saw each other outside of fs2 or MSN or whateverÂ…

Today I donÂ’t want to be in any other clan as long as FF exists and as long as I can play the games I like for FF. And this is indeed only because of the nice members FF has. I could play FS2 and WC3 with different banners, but I canÂ’t have this warm atmosphere there.

(ok now I shouldn’t have called it “short” :wink: )

edit: am proud chieftain (CO) of our WC3 division now since ~ 20th August
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-Mark Twain
"Envy is the most modest shape of recognition"

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:51

After reading this topic for the first time in a while I'm proud that my post brought these stories of exactly who we are and where we came from into the public forum. We have a book of names...our members past and present...but thats all it is...a book of names and achievements.

Posts like this mean a lot to me as does the clan. After all I wouldnt be doing the CO's job if I didnt love this clan and, in a manly manner, all of the clans members. Even the annoying members have excellent qualities that shine at the most unexpected moments and impress us all.

So...how did I come to join FF. Well it began with a guy called Den and a young woman named Nathelie who would later take up the tag Temptation and become one of my best friends.

We both joined a recruiting game for a noobie FS2 squad many years ago and ended up being part of a, too be honest, crap squad. Nat and I made friends quite quickly although we were both a bit shy in those days. A few weeks later I argued with the squad leader over training games which were basically nothing more than playing co-ops on his host. I left the squad and asked Nat to join me in forming a new squad with another of my best friends Conjo. Together we formed IIC...or Insane Immortals Corps...a name that took nearly a week to decide on...lol...remember that Nat?

Anyway IIC played a few squadwars and didnt do too badly considering we were more or less noobs. One thing we always tried to achieve was a friendly and honourable presence within the world of FS2. We became friends with a lot of other clans but notably I became very good friends with a FF-Neo (FF-Boris-the-Blade) who was then FF CO.

I went away to university at some point after this leaving my two best buddies to keep the squad alive. It was on one of my visits home that Neo approached me and asked if the entire IIC squad would like to join FF. After talking to Temp and Conjo we agreed although with some trepidation. Oddly enough Nat and Conjo became full members months before me but eventually I took the BIT tests and passed into full membership.

Since those early days I've played with and fought against THE greatest players to ever grace Freespace, I've stomped around in Mech's with THE greatest players of Mechwarrior 4, attempted to keep up with the freshblood of CS and DoD and enjoyed conversations with many other members from all around the world.

To top all of this off I have the honour to command this clan with my good friend Darkhalf at my side.

I recently had the opportunity to ask Conjo if he thought we had made the right move...what is it now...3 years ago? And his reply was that it was the best move we could have ever made...I have to agree.
Last edited by FF-Cernunnos on Sat Dec 06, 2003 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
-=The FF Boss=-

General
The Spaminator
The Spaminator

Post by General » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:51

nice story and we all love our clan, and that is why it last and last

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:13

Brings a tear to my eye every time I read this. I think it high time some neophytes add their say to this. I mean guys who've only been with us 4 years or less now ;)

Good god, I remember the trepidation I had as CO- my endless fear that we would fade away, and the bonds that tied us together would evaporate.

That was over 8 years ago now.

FaLcOn-eYe
Commander
Commander

Re: An essay on our Legacy.

Post by FaLcOn-eYe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:39

This is the only forum, i keep gettin back to after a while.

If its not after a few weeks, it might be after even a year or 2.

Even when peepz decided to go other ways, either in RL or in games, i keep coming back.

To me its not the devotion for gaming, but the devotion for eachother what drives me back to here, time after time. :mecry:

ZeusCommander
Captain
Captain

Post by ZeusCommander » Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:40

Im sorry...but i must chime in here with...

That is all :)

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32

What is it now? 14 years? I feel like we got some more in us too ;)

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Mon Jun 03, 2013 23:55

What? Since this topic was last posted in or since we've been messing around online together? :mrgreen:
-=The FF Boss=-