Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Thu Dec 22, 2005 15:34

Observer mode for the win! :D

Only replays are missing now. :P

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 22:24

Next event is going to be interesting for everybody...

http://www.guildwars.com/press/pr13-10-01-06.html

From Jan 20 to 22, free preview of Guild War next instalment!

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Fri Jan 13, 2006 13:52

I'm actually pretty excited about the event, and Chapter 2 in general. So far the preview info about Factions sounds pretty awesome, almost "too good to be true."

Anet is doing an exceptionally fine job. For its complexity, Guild Wars is one of the most finely balanced games in the history of gaming. Some concerns have been raised about possible imbalances that the 300 (!) new skills in Chapter 2 could bring, but Anet keeps saying that they're only getting better at the balancing business.

BTW... the guilds that are in the European regional championship finale, Lamers Ultimate Majority and the Valandor, are both Finnish guilds. Yay us! :D Valandor is also considered pretty much the only team that stands a chance against the Korean behemoth War Machine - other Euro and American teams can't play split-team tactics well enough to defeat WAR.

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Fri Mar 03, 2006 19:52

Yet another GW update, with more balanced skills and bug fixing. Lesson learnt from the World cup it seems :)

When I look back and see how dramatic improvments have been over the last year, I got only one word to describe Anet support: outstanding.

(it also makes me sad when I see how TW is now, and how it could have been with someone else in charge :( )

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:37

Just saw a game with good ol' Clan Elite Force from TW serie :) 8O

I was not aware they were playing GW, and in good position too :)

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Sat Mar 04, 2006 13:52

Elite's in GW? :lol:
108th Clan Elite Force EF Eu 1333 88 55
Any familiar faces in there?

The update was fairly unsurprising, but there were a few oddities. (Shadow of Fear buff? WTH?) Warriors were the superior combat class before the update, but it remains to be seen how viable they will be after the bugfixes and hex boosts.

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Tue Mar 07, 2006 15:17

Found a nice boonprot monk "tutorial" video; the build is a bit weaker after the OoB, Mend and Veil nerfs, but still viable. The vid also demonstrates some of the trickery and teamwork that (occasionally :P ) happens at high levels of PvP play.

I'd use a superior rune on arenas, since spiking is less dangerous than in 8vs8 games. This is a GvG build though, hence the minor rune and no rez.

http://files.filefront.com/wuv_booner_p ... einfo.html

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:23

I downloaded the file but can't get picture, just sound playing :(

There is a Louis monk OoB... the main issue with last update, beside OoB being more expensive (however... it might be still playable), is mend being on 5 sec cool down. That seems like eternety.

Reversal of Fortune- Guardian- Mend Ailment- Prot Spirit/ Aegis- OoB- Remove Hex/Holy Veil/ Convert Hex/ CoP-Divine Boon-Res Signet/ Rebirth. Pretty standard, I guess your video is running the same kind of build. / is for alternative skills, depending on mood and what bothers me most :)

with Melandru Res/ Draw: I got little experience, only played it in random yesterday.

Reversal of fortune - Guardian - Draw condition - Melandru Resilience - Divine Boon - Res Signet
I think I might add Divine intervention or Signet of Devotion. Or both. It's missing in the spamming department too, with only RoF and Guardian. It's definitly tougher to play than OoB, or well, maybe I play it badly :p . Pretty funny sometimes though :)

Oddly enough, a straight monk with no energy management also seems to work well...
Reversal of Fortune - Word of Healing - Healing touch - Mend Ailment - Prot Spirit/ Guardian - CoP/ Holy Veil - Divine Boon - Res Signet

For mesmers... I capped Mantra of Recall a long time ago, and sure enough it works well with CoP/ Boon.
For energy management, Drain Enchant/ Power Drain are probably good enough and MoR a bit of overkill. Or Inspired hex (probably easier to use as a monk, since checking foes is a bit tougher than checking allies...).
In terms of metagame, In GvG (if i were playing GvG), I think I'd play a Mo/ Me with inspired enchant and grab that MoR from my opponent while playing another Elite :p.
Foci playing and Ether Lord?

Clothaire also got a few monk skills, and I wondered if something was doable, bordering sillyness :p
Mantra of recovery - Energy Tap - Power Drain - Drain/inspired - Aegis - Convert Hexes - Purge conditions - Res... What is this build doing exactly? I wonder :p
(or maybe anything else in inspiration/ prot/ general line with long recast)

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Wed Mar 08, 2006 15:14

I downloaded the file but can't get picture, just sound playing
Hmm. Sounds like a video codec problem. The vid uses XviD: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ for Koepi's XviD binary.

I used to run Mend Ail - Guardian - Holy Veil - Boon - Reversal - Prot Spirit - Oob - CoP. Still works ok in randoms, but in GvG Mend Condition might be better.

The build in the vid uses Reversal - Guardian - Sig of Devotion - Mend Ail - Shielding Hands - OoB - Boon - Veil. I don't really agree with Shielding Hands on that, Prot Spirit would be better. And Devotion Sig is debatable.

For a fun and different monk build you could try an Enchanter monk that has three superiors (in Divine, Prot and Healing) for 305 health, +20% staff wrapping and Blessed Aura, then load up with enchants like Breeze, Seed, Healing Hands, Vig Spirit, Prot Spirit (maintained constantly on self), Shield of Regeneration plus the usual utility stuff. :P

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed Mar 08, 2006 21:35

ok, thanks, can see it now :)

The most impressive trick is the hiding nergy part done in real time with swap for emergency heal, like real fast :)

Prot spirit vs shielding hand kind of depend on metagame a bit. To be honest, unless I expect elementalist, I am not sure Prot spirit prevent that much damage. Shielding hands is probably better vs ranger or warrior.... if you can reduce the recast time a bit :)

Good news, I saw faction will have 6 slots :) I'll keep one for PvP :)

(however, I feel that PvE character are just as good as PvP one, and also got some possible adaptations with change in secondaries...)

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:54

I'll post some pictures... New and old...

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:12

Stretching a bit...

And...

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 0:31

My less advanced character... Trying to make its way in the desert, which has proved surprisingly easy for him: only Clothaire had it so easy compared to my warrior and my monk. I guess the desert is offense caster friendly in some odd way :)

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Wed Mar 29, 2006 16:35

Art direction in Factions is... nice. Most of the standard armors in GW:F are much nicer looking than current 15k stuff in GW:P. Can't complain about the new, large, exotic outdoor environments either. :P

Here's a Factions monk:

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 20:11

I agree... Warrior armour are much, much better looking. Same for monk. I am not sure I like all Ritualist armours, but it may have to do with my general (dis)like of the class.

I am finishing my current 4 PvE characters: Eudes and Clothare got all their primary skill + most of the usefull secondaries. Louis still got some monk Elite to cap, however, I have covered most normal monk secondaries and still got lot of skill points.

Adrian will make it to Droknar tonight :) From there, it's going to be Elite collecting madness :)

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Mon May 15, 2006 20:09

The Duelling Duo in the Desert...

(Temp scary goth necro on left, dumby Louis warrior on right)

For just the two of us with not too strange build, I think it worked well some players never really get it :) You definitly earnt your mini hydra pet ;)

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Thu May 18, 2006 9:28

Congratulation Tempiic for ascending!

But there is more and tougher fun ahead :)
for your new armour, maybe Maeda can go to Factions and get the new, better looking necro armour there?

Thanks Cranda for the invite in the SB guild hall, nice utility. There are a few test I'd like to do that would require a PvP character or something... (I mean, I always wondered what a Lich infuser would do... That kind of mechanism) I guess getting a sigil would help :)

Louis,

Temptation
Sweet Trouble
Sweet Trouble

Post by Temptation » Thu May 18, 2006 13:16

That might be a very good idea Louis. Think I'll do that perhaps.

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Sat May 20, 2006 1:45

Sigil is no problem, i've still got a couple floating around in my stash. And they're only 14k at the trader, cheaper than ever.

I guess the real problem is getting people to use the guild hall... for occasional tests, it's prolly cheaper to use SB or Retard hall. FF guild hall won't be very useful if there's only one person in the guild... :P

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Wed May 24, 2006 14:33

http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/ar ... vsevil.php

This is an interesting read, a match report from one of the biggest upsets in GW tournaments, written by a player of the winning team. The report shows pretty well how much tactics and strategy can be involved in a high-end GvG game.