(GW) What is Guild Wars?

Discussions and other stuff related to Massively Multiplayer Online Games
FUBAR4U2
Old Fart

(GW) What is Guild Wars?

Post by FUBAR4U2 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 14:14

Guild Wars (GW) is a MMORPG, but is different from all other MMO's out there.

Firstly, GW is a one time pay game, there is no monthly fee, you only pay to get the game off the shelf. Updates are free and you can play for free anywhere in the world. Every 4-6 months "expansions" will be released, you do have to pay for these, but they are not required to continue playing the game, they only "unlock" larger areas and more skills sets and possible more professions. Once again the only thing you have to pay for is to get the game off the shelf.

Characters, there are levels in GW like any other RPG game, but the goal of the game is not to be the highest level. This game is more based on skill. Each character class has 70 skills, each character can have 2 classes, a Main "profession" and a sub-class. This in total gives you 140 skills (amount of skills may change by release). The catch is when you go into battle (PvP arena, mission, etc.) you select 10 skills you wish to take with you, and throughout the mission or battle you may only use those 10 skills, hence where the "strategy over grinding" takes affect.

There has been no detailed information on how you gain levels or skill sets as of yet. I will update this during/after the WPE.

How this game updates is also very unique too. Unlike all other games where before you log in you have to update for 30 minutes guild wars you log in and start playing right away. The updates and data are "streamed" to you in real time. This helps with server downtime because servers will rarely have to be taken down before server updates. Bugs and patches can be fixed literally in a matter of seconds and do not require players to exit the game to update. This is also really cool because during special events or special seasions (christmas, halloween, easter etc.) they can instantly change/add/edit things. For example, last holloween during beta the game players were going along during their normal things, having a good time, nice day no clouds, then instantly it was night time, full moon, wolves started to howl, the NPC's turned to skeletons, items turned to holloween related things, etc.

GW's guilds are similar to the Lineage 2 setup, where you have a guild leader, and you can have different ranks in your guild, messaging systems, forum, titles, guild hall, and such. There has been no information on "levels" of guilds like lineage 2 so we do not know if there is "one guild fits all" or if you have to acheive some sort of status or rank, or pay for your guild to be "upgraded" my guess would be it is every guild has the same capabilities. There also has been no released information on size limitations of guilds.

What are the Classes? (not all skills are listed!)
Ranger -
A master of distance attacks and creature magic. This is one of the most flexible character classes, but supposedly very difficult to use. Rangers can focus on bow and arrow attacks, or they can take any of several animal-related skills and bring a powerful pet to battle. A Ranger could also set traps or perform a "debuffing" kind of role, by using trick shots to harass and incapacitate enemies for teammates to finish off. (think amazon mixed with assasin from diablo 2)
Skills do things such as:
Pin Down, Power Shot, Dual Shot, Quick Shot, Penetrating Attack, Distracting Shot, Precision Shot, Called Shot, Debilitating Shot, Point Blank Shot, Tounge Biter, Call of Ferocity, Charm Animal, Call of protection, Call of vitality, call of haste, call of healing, and call of resiliance.

Warrior -
Obviously, straight up brute strength and damage is the key. Typically warriors are well-equipped for close combat, able to absorb a lot of damage before going down (tanks). As such, they're pretty much the anchor class, the main brunt of any assault. Warrior is a great profession to combine with anything. (think barbarian from diablo 2)
Skills such as:
For great justice, to the limit, faer me, i will avenge you, i will survive, shields up, watch yourself, 100blades, aze rake, axe twist, bonetti's defense, brutal blow, bull's strike, counter blow, crude swing, crushing blow, cyclone axe.

Monk -
Monk's primary role in any party will be healing: healing teammates, removing wounds, and curing curses. As such, no party is complete without at least one Monk to bring those associated skills. If a party brings several to the field, they can be quite hard to finish off. But taking Monk skills as a secondary profession can also have some real rewards. One of the toughest opponents you'll ever run across is a Warrior who is able to use Monk skills to keep himself healing during combat.
Skills include:
Aegis, balthazar's aura, balthazar's spirit, bane signet, banish, blessed aura, belssed signet, convert hexes, divine boon, divine healing, divine intervention, divine spirit, draw conditions, dwayna's kiss, essence bond, guardian, heal area, heal other, heal party, resurection, healing breeze.

Elementalist -
Nature is yours to command with the Elementalist profession -- and that means you can hurl it at the people you don't like. Elementalists specialize in magical ranged attacks that dish out damage. You can do more than just hurt your enemies, though. Certain elements have other effects as well. If you specialize in ice magic, for example, you'll have several skills that will slow enemies down (good for holding them in place while your Warriors or Rangers finish them off.) The Elementalist is also one of the only classes who can create a lot of damage across a wide area. (think sorcerer)
Skills:
Aftershock, air attunemnet, armor of earth, armor of frost, armor of mist, auro of restoration, blinding flash, blurred vision, chain lightning, conjure flame, conjure frost, conjure lightning, crystal wave, deep freeze, earth attunment, earthquake, enervating charge, eruption, fire attunement, fire storm.

Mesmer -
On the surface, the Mesmer appears to be an illusionist with magical spells to harass the enemy. But, from a game perspective, this profession is what's known as a "Denial" class. The whole point of the Mesmer isn't to deal damage to the enemy; it's to thwart their plans, wreck their combinations, weaken their warriors, and deny them their spellcasting ability. As a result, the Mesmer class (if it's set as your primary profession) is mainly intended as part of a tight team. This is not recommended for beginners.
Skills:
Arcane Conundrum, arcane echo, arcane thievery, arcane mimicry, backfire, blackout, channeling, chaos storm, clumsiness, conjure phantasm, cry of frustration, diversion, drain enchantment, elemental resistance, empathy, energy burn, energy tap, epidemic, ether feast, ether lord.

Necromancer -
In the 'big picture,' the Necromancer is what's known as a "debuff" character. You're there to help other character do terrible damage by lowering the enemy's resistance, damaging them over time, siphoning away their life, wrecking their armor, slowing them down, stripping their enchantments, and just in general making their lives a living hell. Speaking of living hell, the Necromancer (like the Ranger) can also control pets. These "pets," however, are the shambling remains of dead bodies mindlessly doing your bidding. Whether you want the necromancer to do direct damage, to assist your team, or to manipulate an undead army is up to you and how you want to play.
Skills:
Animate bone fiend, animate bone horror, animate bone minions, awake the blood, barbed signet, barbs, blood of the master, blood renewal, blood ritual, chilbains, consume corpse, dark aura, dark bond, dark fury, dark pact, death nova, deathly chill, deathly swarm, dfile flesh, demonic flesh.

What about servers?
Supposedly there is only "one" server. What I mean by supposedly and why it is in italics is because there are not selections for you to choose what server you are on. So you won't be on server 5 and your friend is on server 3. The entire world will be on one network, so there is one world ladder for all guilds. But what about lag? The way they solve this I can only explain by example. So, for example, so There is a town called "Bob." Now bob is a very large town and so a ton of people come to it. Now lets say that you are playing by yourself for a while and you go to Bob to get some armor from your last quest reward. While buying armor your friend logs on and asks you were you are, you tell him "I am in Bob" and he says "hey I am in bob too!" so yall conjure locations and find your both in the same exact spot, but you don't see him! You are infact on different servers! Each city, area, loaction has a 'max user limit', so when Bob has more than 500 people inside it's city walls another server will mirror Bob and take the next 500 people and so on.
Won't this cause a big probelem for guilds and trying to meet up for friends?
I am not sure yet how they will solve this problem but from all the beta forums I have been able to sneak into there has been no complaints about it. I would suppose if you are in the same guild or in a party with someone you will be put in the same server for that area.
Once again I am not sure how this fully works when trying to be on the same server with people such as friends or guilds. I will explain more after the WPE or if I find something out.
I have read that when you start a mission you are allocated server space and that area for the mission is mirrored for your party, this way it drops down on lag and even people "kill stealing" or taking your drops from your hard earned missions. There are still hunting grounds and such where people can come along and PK, KS, or steal items just like other MMO's.

What about solo vs. party/guild missions etc?
A person that wishes to play GW by themselves is at no advantage or disadvantage to a team of people in the same party or guild. Missions can be done solo or in a group. I am still not fully aware of what type of missions there are, but from some stories I have read they range from "kill 5 of this" "bring this to this person" "save the princess" "king of the hill"(pvp arena) "last man standing"(pvp arena) "explore this area" "find this here and bring it back" and such.

What about the environment and graphics?
For those that have played lineage 2 the graphics are comparable to those, but from the screen I have seen they even look a little better than L2! I have not found what engine GW uses, I suppose it is a custom built one, but am not sure. Environments are virtally fully interactive, so if you use a volcano spell and it leaves some parched ground or something it supposedly stays there (hence where the streaming updates come into play), but wouldn't that mean eventually the entire game area would be trashed? Life goes on. (this is a response from one of the game developers in an interview I found, same question and answer).
Monsters / bad guys / mobs, whatever you are fighting have very good AI and dont just swing, swing, swing, they may run to regroup, use spells, "play" with you, or some other way. Some beta testers have said that "the only reason I know I am fighting a computer sometimes is because it is not human!" Spiders that live in trees may use their web to hover above you and then drop down ontop of you if you dont look up! Something that lives in the water may just feel it needs to dry off and fight you, the troll under the bridge may want to actually collect is toll from you.
"These bunch of jug heads are acting like a bunch rectal apertures"

~Coach Hines~

FF-Darkhalf
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by FF-Darkhalf » Fri Oct 29, 2004 18:54

had a look into, played a few. I think I`ll go for WoW ;)

FUBAR4U2
Old Fart

Post by FUBAR4U2 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 19:04

Nice thing is there will be no pay to play

~Coach Hines~

FF-Darkhalf
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by FF-Darkhalf » Fri Oct 29, 2004 19:08

yeah true, but doesn`t help much as long the game sucks :lol:

It won`t have much support after a certain time i can imagine. They won`t earn anything .. so wouldn`t make much sense ... from their point of view of course =)

FUBAR4U2
Old Fart

Post by FUBAR4U2 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 23:06

Acually the game seem's quite nice...for beta

They are going to make their $$$$ on all the add-ons

~Coach Hines~

FF-Darkhalf
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by FF-Darkhalf » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:29

.................................... sorry ................sorry.............sorry,,............. <====== drunk ...... i`ve seen enough ...goodbye guildwars.

again .. Im just too drunk...

at least i managed to stay up 6till ~ 9 am

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Sat Oct 30, 2004 20:40

I think I'll give it a chance. They've got a lot of things right, for example concept (focus on team-based PvP, out-of-the-box clan support), technology (low system reqs, streaming content & updates, instanced missions and areas). The MtG-style approach to skills, reconfigurable attribute points, limits to leveling effectiveness etc. all promise to cut down on the grind aspect.

I'm not too concerned about the financial model either; the most successful pay-per-month MMORPGs have a player base of 400,000 or thereabouts. Games such as Diablo 2 have sold several million copies, and I don't think that (or even a couple of million less) would be a severe financial setback. :P

mIcK
Commodore
Commodore

Post by mIcK » Sun Oct 31, 2004 18:48

played it a bit but dont think i totally understand it, cos i just seem to be running round killing things in a group of 6 players.

where is the pvp arena ?

FUBAR4U2
Old Fart

Post by FUBAR4U2 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 19:23

In Lyon's Arch (town) talk to the NPC's down by the water...they are on the docks.

~Coach Hines~

James
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by James » Mon Nov 01, 2004 16:24

I dont like the fact that you can pre-order in the US and get a free gift but you cannot pre-order anywhere else in the world and even if you could you prolly wouldnt get any free gift or bonus cd.

Well.. you can get it.. but you've gotta order it from a US store and pay about $35 (£17) in shipping and import fees, which is bloody crazy.

Win10 Pro 64-bit | MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2400
Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz | Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 | Creative SB 5.1 X-Fi